Reading is one the key indicators of academic success and increasingly associated with positive mental health.
Below are our top tips to ignite a passion for reading with your children:
1) Make it explicit when you are reading and share your passion for your favourite books, as most of your reading may be done in the confines of your room and on your devices.
2) Create a little cosy den for reading in a little area in your house and make books visible in your homes.
3) Think about reading the same books as a family, which you can then discuss during family time over a warm drink or take out.
4) Take an interest in the books your children read and ask them questions.
5) Encourage your children to read what they enjoy and have interests in, which can be promoted through trips to bookstores, libraries and books as gifts.
6) Gift your child a membership to a book club, such as below:
7) Place a post it on your book recommendations on your bookshelf, by briefly explaining why you enjoyed the book
Key Stage 3 and 4 Reading Lists:
Boredom Busting Book Recommendations:
Advice to start up a parent and child book club:
Support for parents’ literacy skills: