Heston Community School is proud to be a “community” school.
The School gained Academy status in November 2012, when discussions took place about whether it would be appropriate to change the name of the School to reflect its new status. Governors wanted the School to remain the School of choice for its tight-knit community and for its name to reflect that desire as well as its pride in the community.
The local community is very important to the School and many links exist, including:
• Local primary schools - we endeavour to share specialist subject support as well as the use of our superb facilities.
• Local charities – we organise regular fundraising events and our Sixth Form students are expected to act as community service volunteers.
• Local teacher training institutes - we offer teacher training placements to St Mary’s, Roehampton, Institute of Education and Kingston Universities.
• Local universities and colleges – we take our students to events and activities at universities such as Brunel, UCL and Reading and colleges such as West Thames to give them the opportunity to experience further education and benefit from technical expertise and equipment.
• Local businesses - we work with a number of local businesses who supply the School and kindly come in to give our students career lectures.
• STEM Ambassadors – we have a number of local Science, Technology and Maths Professionals who regularly come in to give careers advice and lectures to students.
• Wider community - we are proud to serve the local community through the use of our facilities, as members of Heston Community Sports Hall or through attendance of evening or weekend classes.